The use of hop products for organic control of varroa (Varroa destructor) – V4-1605
In the beekeeping sector in recent years, there has been a tendency towards increased use of organic products for varroa control, i.e. those that are acceptable to a colony and ensure the integrity of bee products. Recently, on foreign markets began to appear Preparations based on hop beta-acids have recently begun to appear on foreign markets, which are offered as an alternative since they are perceived as harmless, naturally occurring in the environment and, at the same time, they have an antimicrobial effect.
Ninety-five percent of all harvested hops is used for brewing purposes and so there is a constant search for ways of using hops outside the brewing industry. With this project, we offer a synergy between two major agricultural sectors in Slovenia and their needs. We will examine the market potential for products for organic repression and prepare a comparison of the mode of their application and effectiveness.
- Obtain information on the composition and method of application of preparations for the control of varroa
- Implementation of practical trials of products based on hop over different time frames and different affected bee colonies and in the laboratory environment
- Establish a pool of eligible varieties of hops grown in Slovenia, for use depending on the content of active substances
- Investigate the possibilities of making preparations on the basis of hops in Slovenia
- Transfer the acquired knowledge into everyday use
The project partners have extensive experience and references in the field.
The proposed targeted research project consists of four work packages.
- WP1: Acquisition of data on the composition and method of application of preparations for the control of varroa
- WP2: Implementation of practical trials of products based on hops over different times
frames and with different affected bee colonies and in the laboratory environment
- WP3: Establishing a pool of suitable hop varieties grown in Slovenia, for use depending on the content of active substances
- WP4: Exploring the possibility of producing preparations based on hop in Slovenia
Project is financed by the Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Food (MAFF) and the Research Agency of the Republic of Slovenia (ARRS).
October 1st, 2016 to September 30th, 2019